SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond

4 posters

Go down

Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond  Empty Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond

Post by Azur Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm

We must ask ourselves, why have the organizations of Spiritualism today, all but forgotten their original founder Cora Richmond? Cora, the finest and truest medium gave 70 years of pure service. Today a shell remains only. The Spiritualist Churches seem to have exchanged her higher teachings for a lower truth; ignorance. Spiritualism is not fortune-telling.

Dr. A. B. Childs says of Cora at age 18 years, July 24th. 1858:
"The lady can address an audience of five thousand people with great ease, and the guides through her give an elaborate discourse upon any subject the audience may choose. There cannot well be a greater test of Spirit power than this."

Cora at age 16 had already received and published her own book on poems when she was asked by Longfellow's brother while attending her Spirit circle, to assist his brother Henry. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, also very mediumistic, received from the spirit world his epic poem: THE SONG of HIAWATHA. Henry, was having trouble receiving the conclusion of the poem from the spirit world and Cora was able to assist while in trance. Bringing Henry's poem to completion for publication later in the same year, 1856.

The stranger at my fireside cannot see
The forms I see, nor hear the sounds I hear;
He but perceives what is; while unto me
All that has been is visible and clear.

The spirit-world around this world of sense
Floats like an atmosphere, and everywhere
Wafts thro' these earthly mists and vapors dense
A vital breath of more ethereal air.

So prone the world of spirits there descends
A bridge of light connecting it with this,
O'er whose unsteady floor, that sways and bends,
Wander our thoughts above the dark abyss.

The Test of Tests
When Cora was only 14 in 1854, Professor J. J. Mapes of New York City came to Buffalo to pursue his investigations of the Spiritual phenomena. He attended the morning circle, and later was asked by Ouina [Cora's Spiritual guide] if he would speak at the afternoon meeting, to which he replied, "Yes, if you will control your medium, and let me give the subject that she shall speak upon." He fell into the very trap that Ouina desired, since it was the tests of tests that the spirits wanted to give him. The hall was packed; Cora took the platform and after the choir had sung, came forward with her countenance so illuminated by the light of the spirit that all beholders were struck with admiration. Prof. Mapes spoke the two words, "Primary Rocks." After the lecture, the control called upon the professor to speak upon the same subject. He came to the platform and with tears in his eyes, said, "I am a college educated man, and have been all my life an investigator of scientific subjects and associated with scientific men, but I stand here this afternoon dumb before this young girl."

It has always suprised me why the SNU fail to knowledge one of the great spiritual medium's of the past, not a picture hangs anywhere in the Arthur Findlay College of Cora LV Richmond, not a book on her teachings of Higher Spiritualism is available to buy from the college shop, Cora should be knowledged for all her hard work and for the incredible dedication for bringing us the true Light from above.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond  Empty Re: Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond

Post by zerdini Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm

I have three of her books, Blue Lotus.

There is no doubt she was an extraordinary medium.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond  Empty Re: Higher Spiritualism and Cora Scott Hatch Tappan Richmond

Post by Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm

I totally agree with you Blue Lotus she was a very fine Medium.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 pm

zerdini wrote:I have three of her books, Blue Lotus.

I have her biography: Life Work of Cora L.V. Richmond and also Ouina's Canoe and Christmas Offering.
Do you recommened any of the three books you have, and if you can let me know the names, thanks Zerdini.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:39 am

I was thinking about Cora again with regard to both the Principles and Organisation of Spiritualism. I hope that many have seen the thread on her about potentially the first adopted Principles of Spiritualism in 1864.

http://spiritualismlink.forumotion.com/t127-1864-and-the-first-accepted-principles-of-spiritualism

Well Cora was part of that church and the adoption of its constitution and Principles. Yet in the same year when the Philadelphia National Convention of USA Spiritualists founded the first National bodey she refused to join it. She apparently was against the idea that Spiritualism should adopt fixed ideas when it was such a free flowing and radical organisation.

Luckily for her it meant she was not involved in the highly controversial years when Victoria Woodhull became President in 1872 and split the movement in 1873.

Then much later in her life, in the same years Emma Hardinge Brittan was championing a national organisation in the UK, Cora stepped up to support the foundation of the new national body in the USA, 1893, that is now the NSAC. Indeed Cora became one of the first Vice Presidents.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 am

Maybe I am on a roll but we have to remember that teh great Mediums of that era were noted for the trance responses to questions decided upon by an expert committee and then put to them with no prior warning.

The test was for the guides to produce such knowledge that would impress those experts who had posed the questions. The Mediums were unaware of who was present in the audience so had no clues to the questions they may face.

It is fascinating to consider what may happen today were we to challenge our mediums to this type of work. The founder of one of the two organisations that formed our Center here, Sister Hilda Taylor, generally did both her address and mediumship from the platform whilst in trance circa 1952.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hiorta Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:50 am

This would be well worth attermpting.

At the very least it would show today's Mediums just what is possible and at the same time pointing a way forward in promoting the philosophical aspect, while providing a natural dividing line for those who can from those who, as yet, cannot.

"Emma Hardinge Brittan was championing a national organisation in the UK,""

The Nation concerned that does not speak its name.
hiorta
hiorta

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:55 am

Admin wrote:Maybe I am on a roll but we have to remember that teh great Mediums of that era were noted for the trance responses to questions decided upon by an expert committee and then put to them with no prior warning.

The test was for the guides to produce such knowledge that would impress those experts who had posed the questions. The Mediums were unaware of who was present in the audience so had no clues to the questions they may face.

It is fascinating to consider what may happen today were we to challenge our mediums to this type of work. The founder of one of the two organisations that formed our Center here, Sister Hilda Taylor, generally did both her address and mediumship from the platform whilst in trance circa 1952.

Jim

So did Mona van der Watt, Jim.

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by zerdini Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am

Azur wrote:

I have her biography: Life Work of Cora L.V. Richmond and also Ouina's Canoe and Christmas Offering.
Do you recommened any of the three books you have, and if you can let me know the names, thanks Zerdini.

Certainly Azur.

They are:

1.My Experiences While Out Of My Body and My Return After Many Days (six days).

(Cora made her transition on January 3rd 1923. It was her wish that Part Two be added to the earlier Part One edition and made available only after her physical death. The complete edition of My Experiences was published later in the same year.)

2. The Soul: Its Nature, Relations And Expressions In Human Embodiments. Given Through Mrs Cora L.V. Richmond By Her Guides. Published in 1888.

3. Is Materialization True? With Eleven Other Lectures Of Great Interest By and Through the Trance mediumship of Mrs Cora L.V.Richmond.

Published in 1878.

Hope that helps.

Z

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:08 pm

zerdini wrote:
Azur wrote:

Certainly Azur.

They are:

1.My Experiences While Out Of My Body and My Return After Many Days (six days).

(Cora made her transition on January 3rd 1923. It was her wish that Part Two be added to the earlier Part One edition and made available only after her physical death. The complete edition of My Experiences was published later in the same year.)

2. The Soul: Its Nature, Relations And Expressions In Human Embodiments. Given Through Mrs Cora L.V. Richmond By Her Guides. Published in 1888.

3. Is Materialization True? With Eleven Other Lectures Of Great Interest By and Through the Trance mediumship of Mrs Cora L.V.Richmond.

Published in 1878.

Hope that helps.

Z

Thanks Z, you've been very helpful, appreciate your kindness.

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down