SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helen Hughes Part 1

3 posters

Go down

Helen Hughes Part 1 Empty Helen Hughes Part 1

Post by Azur Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 am

Upon reading Z's topic earlier ''While I Remember by Ivy Northage - A sitting with Alec Harris in Cardiff'' I dug out Ivy's life story While I Remember and scanned through the pages.

I came across a piece Ivy spoke about in relation to the medium Helen Hughes.

Helen Hughes came on; quite tiny, dressed all in black and with wispy, baby hair, she still looked charming. As soon as she appeared it was as if the whole atmosphere came to life with sparks of electricity. This tiny figure walked onto the huge state - it really was huge, with a grand piano some way behind her - and said quietly, 'I wonder, friends, do you know that lovely hymn. "When peace like a river ascendeth our souls"?' Unaccompanied we all spontaneosuly burst into singing and when we stopped it was indeed as if there had been a storm and you could feel the waters abating, giving place for a wonderful silent harmony.

Her mediumship was equally impressive, so accurate and so gentle. With no hesitation at all she picked out the recipient of each communication, she knew exactly where they were sitting in that huge assembly. Hers was a quality of mediumship I had not met before, it was quite superb. To my great joy, I came to know her later. She often demonstrated in Edinburgh and was always offered the hospitality of the Psychic College, even though she might be appearing, elsewhere in the city, and on my visits we overlapped from time to time. She had a brother who used to accompany her; I think he was a miner who had been invalided out and she took care of him. They were extremely poor. In her early days in Newcastle she did not even have a dress to appear in so her friends had a whip-round and bought one for her. She never lost a true humility, side by side with the wonderful spiritual note of her mediumship.

Once when I was working in Edinburgh, I had breakfast with Helen and her brother on Sunday and later went into the church where she was to demonstrate that morning. I could see that the man sitting next to me was in a state of great distressand we were soon in conversation.

'I feel such a fool being here,' he said, 'but I have just heard that my son in the RAF is missing, presumed dead. 'Overcome with emotion, he went on. 'The last letter he sent said ''I'm coming home on leave, Dad, and I should be with you on Sunday'' - that's today - ' and his eyes filled with tears, 'I'm just grasping at straws, I suppose, I don't really believe in this.' My heart went out to the poor man in his distress.

At the end of the session Helen identified the man beside me and gave the last message. 'I have your son here,' she said. 'His name is Alan. He tells me to say, if only he could have stopped that letter. He knew how much it would hurt, how much it would increase your pain. And he goes on, ''but I told you, Dad, I would have been home today, and here I am''.'

She could not possibly have known about this letter. That clinched it for Alan's father.

Last edited by Azur on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Azur

Back to top Go down

Helen Hughes Part 1 Empty Re: Helen Hughes Part 1

Post by zerdini Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 am

Azur wrote:Upon reading Z's topic earlier ''While I Remember by Ivy Northage - A sitting with Alec Harris in Cardiff'' I dug out Ivy's life story While I Remember and scanned through the pages.

I came across a piece Ivy spoke about in relation to the medium Helen Hughes.

Helen Hughes came on; quite tiny, dressed all in black and with wispy, baby hair, she still looked charming. As soon as she appeared it was as if the whole atmosphere came to life with sparks of electricity. This tiny figure walked onto the huge state - it really was huge, with a grand piano some way behind her - and said quietly, 'I wonder, friends, do you know that lovely hymn. "When peace like a river ascendeth our souls"?' Unaccompanied we all spontaneosuly burst into singing and when we stopped it was indeed as if there had been a storm and you could feel the waters abating, giving place for a wonderful silent harmony.

Her mediumship was equally impressive, so accurate and so gentle. With no hesitation at all she picked out the recipient of each communication, she knew exactly where they were sitting in that huge assembly. Hers was a quality of mediumship I had not met before, it was quite superb. To my great joy, I came to know her later. She often demonstrated in Edinburgh and was always offered the hospitality of the Psychic College, even though she might be appearing, elsewhere in the city, and on my visits we overlapped from time to time. She had a brother who used to accompany her; I think he was a miner who had been invalided out and she took care of him. They were extremely poor. In her early days in Newcastle she did not even have a dress to appear in so her friends had a whip-round and bought one for her. She never lost a true humility, side by side with the wonderful spiritual note of her mediumship.

Once when I was working in Edinburgh, I had breakfast with Helen and her brother on Sunday and later went into the church where she was to demonstrate that morning. I could see that the man sitting next to me was in a state of great distressand we were soon in conversation.

'I feel such a fool being here,' he said, 'but I have just heard that my son in the RAF is missing, presumed dead. 'Overcome with emotion, he went on. 'The last letter he sent said ''I'm coming home on leave, Dad, and I should be with you on Sunday'' - that's today - ' and his eyes filled with tears, 'I'm just grasping at straws, I suppose, I don't really believe in this.' My heart went out to the poor man in his distress.

At the end of the session Helen identified the man beside me and gave the last message. 'I have your son here,' she said. 'His name is Alan. He tells me to say, if only he could have stopped that letter. He knew how much it would hurt, how much it would increase your pain. And he goes on, ''but I told you, Dad, I would have been home today, and here I am''.'

She could not possibly have known about this letter. That clinched it for Alan's father.

Helen was a brilliant clairaudient medium. "The Mediumship of Helen Hughes" by Bernard Upton is an excellent book.

Stephen O'Brien writes about her on his website:

http://website.lineone.net/~enlightenment/helen_hughes.htm

zerdini

Back to top Go down

Post by Azur Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree Z, The Mediumship of Helen Hughes is excellent.

Azur

Azur

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Yes we have that book tucked away one of the really good books about mediums.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down