SpiritualismLink
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Astral City: A Spiritual Journey - Official US Trailer

+3
KatyKing
Admin
Mark74
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Astral City: A Spiritual Journey - Official US Trailer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Astral City: A Spiritual Journey - Official US Trailer

Post by Admin Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:44 pm

I think I agree with you on that but down in darest New Orleans where Jim lives it presents a very interesting mix, I remember the title of a Rolling Stones album Goats Head Soup......
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Astral City: A Spiritual Journey - Official US Trailer  - Page 2 Empty Re: Astral City: A Spiritual Journey - Official US Trailer

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am

There's good eating on a goat. Curried Goat now that's tasty grub. Regular staple when we lived in Brixton and had super-generous Jamaican next door neighbours.
Big ladle full of that on top of rice and peas and you knew you'd had your dinner.
Yum!
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 am

Sounds good Katy eat a lot of curry here jog
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reference, Jim.

Here in New Orleans, there ARE some ostensibly "Spiritual" churches: though I expect the fare they serve up has precious little to do with Spuritualism as you see in the UK. And no, I've never been to them, nor do I have any plans to do so: they're in neighborhoods I wouldn't want to go into, and I doubt that I'd be welcome when I showed up. Shocked

Speaking of serving up fare. . . I've never eaten goat but I'm told it's delicious, IF you get a young one. Old goat is pretty tough, I've heard: probably giving rise to the expression about someone being a tough old goat.

Pretty much the same with lamb (which I've eaten) and mutton (old sheep, which I've never eaten), I suppose.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 pm

You can't get mutton these days but it was a staple when I was growing up. Tasty but took a lot of cooking. The farmers sold it direct but now they're not allowed to. I've often wondered what happens to old sheep. Maybe pet food?
I was raised by a Billy Goat.

Mother couldn't afford a Nanny.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am

A friends just sent me this - Spanish with English subtitles. Really looking forward to watching it Smile
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

KatyKing wrote:
I was raised by a Billy Goat.

Mother couldn't afford a Nanny.

Rolling Eyes Laughing

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by Left Behind Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 pm

_Leslie_ wrote:A friends just sent me this - Spanish with English subtitles. Really looking forward to watching it Smile

Let us know how it turns out.

Jim

Left Behind

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 am

Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it!

All-in-all it I think it presents an interesting perceptive and certainly stirs the odd emotion. That said, as in all things you need to have an open mind when watching it - I tried to and found some interesting aspects / pondering / learning to be had. Those approaching it with a closed, perhaps toooo preconceived mind where everything has to being labelled or in a particular box, will as in most things they approach - be disappointed.

Having to read the subtitles resulted in my missing out on the odd 'bit' here and there, but I think its one of those films that are best served 'twice' hence I'm planning on watching again (and hopefully catching the subtitles I missed Wink ).

Until reading the 'closing credits' I never realised how important a part of Chico Xavier work this was. Definitely now planning to read some of his books Smile
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Just watched this thanks to Leslie sending it. Fabulous production values and well acted. The hero is a dead ringer for George off George and Mildred old UK TV comedy 'The Ropers'.
Gives an insight into Chico Xavier version of Spiritism. I found that quite chilling especially reincarnation. Still each to his own. Anyone in UK want a looksee PM your snailmail and I'll send it on. Not sure if our DVDs work in USA.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I have seen this movie about a week or so ago.... and even though i dont agree with some Parts its definately thought provoking and im glad i watched it.x

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 pm

It's certainly made to sell a message.
Those Chico Xavier Spiritists are loaded.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by bravo321uk Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Then im glad i got my copy for free.ha.x

bravo321uk

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Me too.
Worth every penny.
:-)
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Going to get my hands on the DVD of Chico Xavier's life story now.
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Bit of a cult around him by all accounts. The Chicoistas occupying a similar slot amongst Spiritists as do Padre Pio's devotees with the Vatican. So many of 'em that the hierarchy had to bring them into the fold. There are sixteen channeled books via him according to end credits on Astral City.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Well at least he made a series of postage stamps in Brazil, which is more than most countries would allowas recognition for any of our related movements.

Some parts of Spiritism may be loaded but my USA friend who regularly visits the Phillipine Spiritists reminded me that they are poor. Hey the SNU, or that bit that the NEC controls, is far from poor. I do not think they care if the individual churches are broke, broke = the chance of supervision = the chance to sell the building and boost the coffers, or a cynic might see it that way with nearly a quarter of their churches under supervision.

Jim
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by _Leslie_ Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 am

KatyKing wrote:Bit of a cult around him by all accounts. The Chicoistas occupying a similar slot amongst Spiritists as do Padre Pio's devotees with the Vatican. So many of 'em that the hierarchy had to bring them into the fold. There are sixteen channeled books via him according to end credits on Astral City.

Think it was near 400 books - all of which brought on a revenue of around 50 million... This video on YouTube gives a brief but good oversight of him ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txa_gBNkvdU
_Leslie_
_Leslie_

Back to top Go down

Post by Loneblossom Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:51 pm

KatyKing wrote:Just watched this thanks to Leslie sending it. Fabulous production values and well acted. The hero is a dead ringer for George off George and Mildred old UK TV comedy 'The Ropers'.
Gives an insight into Chico Xavier version of Spiritism. I found that quite chilling especially reincarnation. Still each to his own. Anyone in UK want a looksee PM your snailmail and I'll send it on. Not sure if our DVDs work in USA.

I loved George and Mildred! LOL Smile They were great.
Loneblossom
Loneblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:18 pm

I've no issue with anyone getting a living fairly. But milking the undereducated poor is just wrong.
Happens in most religions. The Pentecostals in South America are as bad if not worse than the Spiritists for self enrichment off the backs of the desperate.
There are Spiritist political parties in the Phillipines and from what bit I've read it's fairer there than in the barrios and de facto racism of Brazil . Some narco billionaires support South American Spiritism too by some accounts. All very foreign to an English eye but nevertheless interesting.
In Astral City the role of the black Brazilian maid/servant to the affluent white Brazilian family was inadvertantly [one suspects] textually eloquent.
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by KatyKing Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Me too.
Worth every penny.
:-)
KatyKing
KatyKing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2